Martin, Lord & Osman P.A.
Call Today For A Consultation 603-524-4121
contact Menu

Martin, Lord & Osman, P.A. Your Law Firm For Life

February 2015 Archives

Do I have to pay child support?

Do I have to pay child support? Will I receive child support? The answer, as with most questions in family law, is "it depends." There are lots of parents who equally divide their parenting time so that the children spend as much time with the mother as they do with the father. In these cases, the Court often orders that neither parent should pay child support to the other. However, even if two parents have equal parenting time, one may pay support to the other if he or she has a higher income. A goal of support is to ensure that children enjoy similar standards of living in each household. As one marital master puts it, the children should not be eating 85% lean hamburg in one house and filet mignon in the other. In a large number of cases, one parent has primary residential responsibility (often described as "primary custody") and the other parent has a schedule of parenting time (or "visitation") with the children. The parent with primary residential responsibility is entitled to receive child support from the other parent. The amount of support is calculated in accordance with the New Hampshire Child Support Guidelines, which take into consideration the incomes of both parents, contributions to health insurance and day care costs for the children, and other factors. It is possible to request that the Court "deviate" from the Guidelines when ordering child support. If you feel that special circumstances would justify a higher or lower amount of child support than the Guidelines would require, consult with an attorney to discuss the factors that you want the Court to consider.

What?? You Don't Have A Will?

Did you know that by one estimate, less than 20% of people have a will? Are you in this category? No one wants to think about end of life issues but the fact is we will all face it. Unfortunately, it may happen when we least expect it and are least prepared for it. Do you know where your assets will go? Who will care for your children? If you die without a will, the distribution will be determined by New Hampshire law, not by you. Here at Martin Lord and Osman, our estate planning team can help you with a simple will or a complicated tax planning trust. For more information click on this link Our team is here to help you with the business of your life. Call us at 524-4121.

Laconia Office
The Busiel Mill
One Mill Plaza
Laconia, NH 03246

Phone: 603-524-4121
Fax: 603-528-3635
Map & Directions

Lancaster Office
40 Canal Street
Lancaster, NH 03584

Phone: 603-788-2410
Map & Directions

Lebanon Office
59 North Park Street
Lebanon, NH 03766

Phone: 603-448-3080
Map & Directions

Wolfeboro Office
18 Union Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894

Phone: 603-569-2977
Map & Directions