Child Support

New Hampshire has very specific guidelines concerning the obligation to pay child support. These Guidelines take into consideration the incomes of both parents, contributions to health insurance, and day care costs for the children, as well as other factors. The New Hampshire Guidelines are presumed to be correct and will be relied upon by the Court in determining whether and how much a parent has to pay to the other parent for child support.

It is possible to request that the Court "deviate" from the Guidelines when ordering child support. The most common reason is that the parents are sharing residential rights and responsibilities for the children. However, even if the children spend half of the time with their mother and half with their father, the parent who has a higher income may still be obligated to pay some support to the other parent.

Most often, child support will be paid by a wage assignment, so that the employer of the obligor (paying parent) will deduct the support from his or her wages and send it directly to the obligee (parent who receives support). The amount of child support may be changed every three years, or any time that there is a substantial change in the financial circumstances of either of the parties.