If the rights of a parent have been terminated by a Court order, another person may adopt the child. The adoptive parent assumes all of the rights and obligations that the natural parent had prior to termination. A petition to adopt a child can be filed at any time. It does not have to occur in conjunction with the actual termination of the rights of the biological parent.